Monday, April 23, 2012

The Young and Famous

Actually, it's The Naked and Famous...

[Started writing this as soon as I got home from the concert on Saturday, April 21st, 2012] I saw them tonight at the Warfield in San Francisco. It was epic. The kind of epic that you feel about a guilty pleasure that's about to come out in the open! I don't know why they aren't bigger - I kind of expected that they would have a show at Oracle Arena or other such stadium-sized places. But no, they were in a small theater, with seats removed in the orchestra, but sectioned/marked off and separated by railings. We were at a table further back - the "accessible" section - I had no idea what I was purchasing when I got the tickets! Anyway, we got a table, which we might have had to share with others if there were others, but there weren't - well, until much later in the evening, and it's hard to know where those people came from.

Anyway, the opening acts were Now, Now and Vacationer, both of which were also good, if not great! I didn't get to see Now, Now much because I guess they started before I got in (around 8:30pm - show was supposed to start at 9pm). I liked what I heard and the little that I saw. Before I went to find my seat, I purchased some merch - a t-shirt and signed poster. I was so excited - I was talking to the cashier and people in line about how great The Naked and Famous are and how I can't believe they aren't bigger (none of my friends had heard of them!) and they were all agreeing - the couple in line especially had a story about how they saw them open for a band last year and they knew they needed to see just them! The cashier/merch clerk said that doesn't usually happen so quickly (to go from opening for someone else to being the headlining act in one year)! Yeah, I agreed - they're just so amazing!

The truth is - they are talented and their music is stylish and smart. The Naked and Famous are about to get huge because they are huge - their sound is huge! It's kind of in the creation that they will be huge! For how long is a different question...but as long as they want, I'd suppose.

They're also kiwis - from New Zealand! That's exotic and so are their accents!

I'm kind of in love with them right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment