Thursday, June 30, 2011

Vocal Tricks & Misleading Effects

I just wanted to add a few more thoughts on my first two posts.

First, I want to mention my new favorite part in The Sun by The Naked and Famous - it's between the two verses I presented in my post. I think it is in the third verse (which I didn't post) when the monotone vocals break for a line - well, really, it's just the male's voice that breaks monotone and he actually sings the line, "Now I can't feel a thing" in a slightly higher-pitched melody, higher than the female's monotone voice. I must say - I love that!! It's just for the line but clearly it's an emphasis on that line. This technique of vocals going out of their regular range or at least reversing roles - such as a soprano singing lower than a tenor - is just so cool to me! I certainly don't think it would work for an entire song, (although, maybe it could), but I generally think it's a really beautiful way of accentuating a line or just plain changing things up a little.

Second, in They Move on Tracks of Never-Ending Light by This Will Destroy You, I realized that I may be getting confused between actual notes being played and the 'delay' effect. I absolutely love 'delay' so it's not about disliking the sound - most of the beginning of the piece sounds almost like long stretches of single notes being played using a 'delay' or 'echo' effect such that it sounds like two notes or a note with a harmonic echoing after it. In fact, that may be what's happening, but I definitely hear two notes - one main one and one softer, but different, like a lower string on the guitar being strum inbetween beats - as in, the down-up strokes where the down is louder and more dominant, on the beat, and the up is lighter, quieter and on the off-beat. However, I cannot seem to discern between the two possibilities - an 'echo' or 'delay' effect or two notes strum in that down-up fashion! I just thought I'd share my confusion because I don't mean to claim I can hear everything the way it's actually composed and played.

No comments:

Post a Comment